Beef Soup With Noodles Recipe
How Do You Make Beef soup with noodles?
Beef soup with noodles (红烧 牛肉 面) is a popular dish throughout China, but also in other South Asian countries. Of course, each region has its interpretation. Sometimes with sometimes without soy sauce, spicy / not spicy, sometimes with thin beef slices with pieces … the variations are endless.
But they have one thing in common. They are pure soul food! I can still remember a small restaurant (Kau Kee) in Hong Kong that specialized in these beef soups. OMG was right there! When I think back on it, I get goosebumps.
I have a variant for you today that you can use due to some ingredients, such as Doubanjiang, Szechuan pepper, cinnamon, star anise, garlic, chili, laurel, could more likely be located in the province of Sichuan. I like it when dishes have power.
The main attraction, besides the soup, is the hand-drawn noodles, which are amazingly easy to make. The most important thing here is that the dough is kneaded well and given time to make it elastic enough. Then pulling is the easiest.
Well, I’m talking about pulled pasta hereIt’s different from mei fun. Not by the pasta masters who swing and pull from a piece of dough suddenly making hundreds of pasta. Maybe that will come later.
|Prep Time||90 minutes|
|Cook Time||120 minutes|
|Passive Time||3 hours|
- 1.5 kg triggered beef calf
- 4 carrots
- 2 medium onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 8 dried chilies
- 1 tbsp Szechuan pepper
- 3 slices of ginger
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 star anise
- 2 tbsp Doubanjiang
- 60 ml light soy sauce
- 30 ml dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2.5 L Hot water
- rapeseed oil
For the beef soup
- Put the flour and salt in a bowl. Add water and knead everything by hand until a smooth dough is formed.
- Now leave the dough covered with foil for 30 minutes.
- Then knead well again until the dough is smooth and shiny, and it feels firm and elastic. Then leave to rest covered for 30 minutes.
- Now divide the dough into two parts and roll it out to an approx — 0.5-1cm thick rectangle.
- Rub the rectangles on each side with 1 tablespoon of oil and let it rest wrapped in cling film for another 2 hours.
- Remove the foil and cut the shorter side of the dough into strips about 1 cm wide with a knife.
- Hold the strips at the ends and pull apart.
- Put the drawn pasta in boiling salted water and cook until bite-proof.
- Briefly boil the pak choi and broccoli in the same water.
- Cut the dried chilies into approx. 1 cm pieces and soak them in warm water for approx. 30 minutes.
- Finely dice the onions and roughly chop the garlic.
- Peel the carrots and cut them into slices about 1 cm thick.
- Cut the beef calf into pieces about 5x3cm. Place the pieces in a saucepan with boiling water and cook briefly with the lid closed for approx. 5 minutes so that the excess protein forms a foam on the water surface.
- Drain the meat and rinse with cold water and drain.
- Allow the soaked chilies to drain in a small sieve.
- Put enough rapeseed oil in a roaster so that the bottom is slightly covered. Heat on a small to medium heat and sauté the chilies and Szechuan peppers slowly for a few minutes.
- Then add the onions and garlic. When the onions are glassy, add the meat and let it sauté briefly while stirring.
- Now pour 2.5L of hot water on top and add ginger, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, star anise, Doubanjiang, both soy sauces, and salt. Stir once and simmer on low heat with the lid closed for at least 2 hours.
- Add the carrot slices about 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time and cook with them.
You should only use one hand to knead the dough. In doing so, flatten the dough repeatedly with the ball of your hand and fold it to the center.
Beef Soup With Noodles Recipe
Beef soup with noodles (红烧 牛肉 面) is a popular dish throughout China, but also in other South Asian countries. Of course, each region has its interpretation. Sometimes with sometimes without soy sauce, spicy / not spicy, sometimes with thin beef slices with pieces ... the variations are endless.
Leave a Comment