Zucchini And Shrimp Eggs Meat Pie Recipes
Every time I explain this word in my Chinese course, I see questioning eyes. What’s this? How can I tell that?
Is that crepe or pancake? No, that’s mostly to and with finely chopped filling, either meat or vegetables. They are salty and without dairy products.
Is that a pie? No, it’s not baked, it’s fried. And it doesn’t look like a cake.
Is that a dumpling? Not entirely, it is not baked, not that small either. The outside is crispy but not by baking, but by frying. Well, but that is probably a first orientation to describe Xian bing.
Is that dumpling or ravioli? A bit similar too. Well, let’s say it’s a mix of everything up there, just the Chinese way.
Explanation of the name:
In China, 饼 (bǐng) is a word for all pasta. It consists of a thin, pancake-like batter that is fried in oil with or without filling. It can be large or small, with a diameter of 5 – 80 cm.
馅 (Xiàn) means filling. So 馅饼 (Xiàn bǐng) together is a large or small pancake with a filling. There are 2 types of stuffing: meat stuffing-meat with vegetables; or vegetarian sauce: greens with eggs or a little shrimp.
Today I cook vegetarian Xian Bing. You don’t always have to eat meat, do you?
Recipe: 馅饼 (xian bing) Fried dumplings with zucchini prawn egg filling
- 250 g flour
- 80 ml of boiled water, cool to 80 ° C
- 40 ml of cold water, room temperature
- 1 pinch of salt
For the dough
For the filling
- Clean zucchini, cut off the ends, wash and rub.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan, first sauté with ginger, then add the grated zucchini, add the prawns. Until everything is done, season the soy sauce with white pepper and spices. Season to taste with salt.
- In the end, the fried eggs back in the pan and fry. Let the filling cool down.
- Divide the dough into 10 portions. Roll out on a little flour in circles (approx. 15 cm Ø). Put 2-3 tablespoons of filling in the middle.
- There are 2 variants for molding: a. Round shape: put the filled dough in your left hand. Use the thumb and forefinger of your right hand to pull up the edge of the money. Fix the cash with your thumb, take your index finger a little further from the side of the money and press it together with the funds against your thumb. Always take more pieces of dough edge. At the same time, turn the mixture in your left hand. Fold the end of the last piece of dough together with the first piece so that the mixture is completely closed. Turn the dough over, press gently, into a flat, round shape. b. Jiaozi Form 1: Brush the edge of the dough with water, fold the circle into a crescent, press down. c. Jiaozi Form 2: After Jiaozi Form 1, start from a corner and fold the edge of the dough inwards with your thumb to create a petal shape. Then fold the 2nd petal straight away, fold part of the 1st leaf back together. Like something until the other end.
Leave a Comment